History of Brock United Methodist Church
The land where the Brock United Methodist Church stands is part of a 1,280 acre bounty warrant #5009 that was granted to James H. Warfield on December 5, 1838. This was granted for his service in the Texas War of Independence from December 10, 1836 to December 5, 1838. The land was later assigned to N. Bagley and then to R.C. Brashear, who then sold it to James and Sarah Maddux.
James Monroe Maddux (born February 16, 1818) and Sarah Naomi (born June 24, 1824) were married in Georgia and had 12 children. The family moved to Arkansas and then to Texas in 1876. The Maddux family was very religious and saw at once the need for a church and a school in the Brock community (originally named Olive Branch). On February 7, 1880, land for the churches, cemetery, and school in Brock were given to the community by James M. and Sarah N. Maddux.
The Brock United Methodist Church was established in 1882. Church members met in a brush arbor with different preachers each Sunday. Ms. Emma Bell, daughter of James and Sarah, was baptized in 1886 into the Methodist Church. James Monroe Maddux died in 1892 and Sarah died in 1904. James was the first person buried in the Brock cemetery on the land he had given.
The cornerstone of the church declares that the present building was erected in 1908. The Methodist churches at the time were under the organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1939, the General Conference met in general session and changed the Methodist Episcopal Church South to The Methodist Church. In 1968, the General Conference met again and changed the Methodist Church to The United Methodist Church. This is still the official name of the churches in Methodism. Buckner Methodist and Dennis Methodist Churches were later consolidated into the Brock congregation.
Only four members were very active in 1951 when young Reverend Gaither L. Day was sent to be the pastor. He was very dedicated and set to work rebuilding the congregation. After some ups and downs, the church recovered and today Brock United Methodist Church is a vibrant, vital church.
Judging from a 1948 picture in The Parker County Pictorial Book, the church was in need of repairs. In 1952, the members repaired the church with new windows, doors, and paint. In 1953, the church purchased an old Station House from the Gulf Oil Pump Company and moved it to the church grounds to be used as a parsonage. In 1960, the church purchased an Army barracks building and moved it behind the church to be used as an educational building.
The congregation was constantly trying to improve the buildings and the church so that they could take pride in it. In 1970, the Sanctuary was improved by adding new church pews, new carpet, and new glass in the windows. The church purchased an organ in 1971. In 1972, a fund raising project was organized and a new three bedroom parsonage was built. The old Station House parsonage was sold.
In 1973, the first Lord’s Acre Project was organized and has been held every year since then. Funds from the project are used for additional repairs and new projects. In 1974, the parsonage was dedicated with the note being burned. In that same year, a new concrete sign for the church was built. In 1976, a hailstorm hit the church and caused substantial damage. The congregation went to work remodeling the damaged church. They added new windows, carpet, wall covering, and paint. In 1977, the old educational building was sold and a new brick educational building was built that included a Pastor’s study, library, kitchen, large fellowship hall, three bathrooms, and six classrooms. This building was dedicated in 1981.
A year later, a new organ was purchased for the church and in 1983 a piano was delivered. The Sanctuary was refurbished in 1986 and new stained glass was added in 1988. New pews with cushions were installed in 1989. Two years later, work began to enlarge the fellowship hall to twice its size. This note was paid with Lord’s Acre projects.